Breaking News
Loading...
Wednesday 24 October 2012

Info Post
For the next 30 days, I will be giving my fingers short bursts of exercise by completing the 30 Day Horror Challenge, found here. Hopefully it will give you a bit of insight into what horror is for me. Don't forget to check back every day for a new instalment.


Day 02: A disappointing or unnecessary remake.

So many possibilities, only one I can spit all my vitriol at; A Nightmare on Elm Street. I was worried from the get go when I heard about the remake, probably more worried people would actually like it and it would replace Wes Craven's original in the public psyche. Then I saw the film… There was absolutely nothing about the film that justified its existence. Every character was completely 2D (even by horror film standards), the CG effects were lame, the story was pointless, and it made Freddy Vs Jason look amazing in comparison. The film actually teased with having there being an unexpected turn in Freddy’s backstory as a child molester, bringing something insightful and new to the character, but in the end, backed out and ended up where even the most casual Freddy fan expected. Jackie Earle Haley was the only thing close to decent about the film, bringing a real darkness to a role that had notoriously camped up, but there was too little to work with, plus his makeup made him look like a deformed hamster. Not exactly the thing of nightmares!

0 comments:

Post a Comment