Breaking News
Loading...
Thursday 25 October 2012

Info Post
For the next 30 days, I will be giving my fingers short bursts of exercise by completing the 30 Day Horror Challenge, found here. Hopefully it will give you a bit of insight into what horror is for me. Don't forget to check back every day for a new instalment.


Day 03: A scene or image burned into your mind

Unquestionably, from the very first time I saw it, the death of Pvt. Torrez in George Romero's horribly underrated Day of the Dead has been ingrained in my brain and will never leave me. The film itself is a slow and monstrously heavy film, and once the zombie meleé gets going, you are completely unprepared for just how far it goes. The film didn't fair well with audiences back in 1985, who were more in to the camp gore of Return of the Living Dead or Re-animator  and this sequence is about as far away from fun as you can get. The entire section is intense, but for me, it is the moment Torrez is pinned down and the zombies go to work pulling his head off his body that gets me. So what, we see decapitations all the time. What's the big deal? Well, Torrez is very much alive for the slow separation, and screams all the way through, leaving me grimace as his vocal cords stretch as they are severed from his body. The sound and the excellently executed effects by maestro Tom Savini have made this one of the most disturbing moments I have ever witnessed, and saying it is burned in to my mind is an understatement.

For those who want to see the gory moment, here it is:


And if you'd like the gist, but not the gore, here's a Lego version (because of course):



0 comments:

Post a Comment