Breaking News
Loading...
Tuesday 30 October 2012

Info Post
For the next 30 days, I will be giving my fingers short bursts of exercise by completing the 30 Day Horror Challenge, found here. Hopefully it will give you a bit of insight into what horror is for me. Don't forget to check back every day for a new instalment.



Day 06: Doesn't seem to scare other people as much as it scares you

l get a bit more current with this one: Silent Hill. It's long-gestating sequel has finally been released and by all accounts, people hate it, which didn't surprise me (why would they abandon the genius of Christophe Gans?), but one thing that did catch me off guard was how many people were now claiming how the original was so good and this one didn't hold a candle to it. Now, I have loved this film from the first time I saw it (about half a year after it's theatrical release), and I have seen more than my fair share of haters for it. Very odd. The typical complaint is that it is badly acted, not frightening, and boring. Now, the acting is very loyal to the videogame (as in, ridiculously wooden), but on the other accounts, I have and will continue to say no, this is a terrifying film. The shadows, the intense noises (and contrasting silences), the nursery rhyme-esque score, the malevolent dead. It all adds up to an intense film that always has me gripped. Whenever I hear that siren, I am put on edge. I'm sure this film scared the shit out of its fair share of people, but until the backlash of the sequel started, all I ever heard was derision at it. Well, I was freaked out and continue to be freaked out by this modern day Inferno.

0 comments:

Post a Comment