Breaking News
Loading...
Monday 3 December 2012

Info Post
For the next 30 days (or whenever I stop being lazy and finish it), I will be giving my fingers short bursts of exercise by completing the 30 Day Horror Challenge, found here. Hopefully it will give you a bit of insight into what horror is for me. Don't forget to check back every day for a new installment.


Day 12: Plot you would least like to end up in.

This is a tough one... I think I will give the honour to The Happening. And yes, I am serious. No, really. Fuck sake, stop laughing! I don't find it a particularly scary film, but of every film I could think of, it is the one I would least like to be in. Why? It's a film where people commit suicide involuntarily because plants make them. It's laughable! Well, here's the simple answer; The Happening is the poster boy for complete uncontrol and essentially the most potentially nihilistic film ever. Ok, it seems like a stupid film (and upon recent viewing, is acted in the most peculiar way ever), but it is a film where there is almost literally no way to stop yourself once you have been overcome by the plants' power (goddamn, I feel stupid just typing that). It's not a case of feeling it coming on and rushing to the lab to help yourself, or finding the horcrux to reverse everything. Shit happens, and there is nothing you can do about it. Even worse? In the end (SPOILER ALERT), the plants are still in total control. Several other films have the same kind of eerie premise (The Thing and The Crazies), and it does relate to zombie films a lot too, but with all the others, you have to come in contact with something/someone, and if you are the crazy old hermit in the shed, you are probably still happy as Larry making your tinfoil hats while the world tears itself apart. But not The Happening. No one is spared, if the plants so choose. 

Good God, I'm giving this film praise, AGAIN!

0 comments:

Post a Comment