Breaking News
Loading...
Tuesday 29 November 2011

Info Post


Well, it took me a few years and several attempts, but I finally got through the three and a half hour documentary, Dangerous Days: The Making of Blade Runner. My final verdict, after all my failed efforts to view it? 


Well worth it.


Why did it take me so long to watch it? Well, it's not exactly a feature for the casual fan of Ridley Scott's cyber-punk cult classic. As with a lot of films from the early 80s and earlier, a lot of the cast and crew have got on in their years and can be a bit rambling, and there is quite a slow pace to the entire thing, which I guess is understandable for such a long piece. I was hooked on a 4 hour Nightmare on Elm Street documentary, so someone into Blade Runner is bound to think I'm crazy for what I say.


The interviews are comprehensive, with guests Frank Darabont and Guillermo Del Toro contributing opinions, though I did notice that star Harrison Ford doesn't appear until quite late. Even so, he, and everyone, are very honest about their opinions on the film. Everyone is frank, to the point that differing opinions are brought back up for the documentary. An acknowledgement must be made of Rutger Hauer's fabulousness and insanity. The troubled production is brought to light and the poor response and recutting are analysed in detail, which are some of the most interesting parts, in my opinion. 


This was made by Charles de Lauzirika, the same man who is responsible for the brilliant Blu Ray and DVD special editions and documentaries of Alien Anthology, so you should know you are in very good hands.






I would like to have seen something about all the different versions of the film that have surfaced over the years, but I guess it wasn't felt necessary, seen as the documentary is packaged in the five disc special edition of the film, as well as a 2-disc edition with the final director's cut.


All in all, I'm glad I finally gave it the attention it deserved. The pure honesty from everyone, whether right or wrong, is enthralling and refreshing in an age of mouthpiece EPKs. It's not a documentary you can put on in passing. It demands your time, but in return, you reap a new story that is just as dramatic and enthralling as the fictional one.


Oh, what's this? The FULL documentary below?!


























Thank you, TheFilm2001forall, you have helped us spend 3 and a half hours in a very interesting way!

0 comments:

Post a Comment