Breaking News
Loading...
Friday 24 December 2010

Info Post
I've gone blog crazy!!! So I shall stop after this one and take a bit of a breather (I might get one out before New Years, but we'll have to see). I just thought that for the time that is in it, it'd be better to end for the moment on a more time of year appropriate. So, if anyone out there is like me and enjoys watching horror films on Christmas day as much as any time of the year, but hate people judging you or going 'What the hell are we watching? It's Christmas, for Christ's sake!!', here is the middle ground: the very acceptable Black Christmas.

A remake of a 70s slasher that didn't really do it for me, this 2006 slick horror fare caught me by surprise. I initially watched it last January for reference for a film, expecting to pure hate it. To my delight, it was a complete dark horse!

Set in a college sorority house at Christmas time during a snow storm, hot college girls are butchered one by one by either a monster or a psycho boyfriend bent on revenge. Simple plot, simple characters, but I'll be damned if it wasn't one of the few times such shallow concepts came together to make a genuinely fun film. It's not as smart as Scream, but has a certain amount of its tongue in cheek humour. The kills are clever, you never know who is next, you spend time guessing why what is happening is happening, and all the while, the thing looks beautiful and is acted perfectly (ie. over the top).

Not groundbreaking, but it is difficult to find a good genre film set at Christmas, and this is easily my favourite (OK, behind Gremlins). Critics hated it, and I can see why, but it is what it is. It's fodder, but fodder you can enjoy again and again. This is one I'd recommend getting a hold of to enjoy during the holiday season in different ways (I mean by yourself, with friends, whatever. Nothing dirtier!!). So, without further ado, below is the trailer (which features a lot of stuff not in the film, but at least you get an idea) and I would like to wish you and yours a very merry Christmas!! Enjoy!!!



0 comments:

Post a Comment